1. All contest submissions in fiction and poetry must be accompanied by an entry fee of $15 (U.S), payable by check or money order to the Broad River Review. Writers may submit multiple times in one or both genres, but each submission must include the required $15 entry fee. If no contest fee is included, the entry will be considered instead as a general submission and will not be eligible for cash prizes.
2. No previously published works or works accepted for publication are eligible, including previous online publication. Simultaneous submissions are eligible, although we must be notified immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
3. Poetry entries are restricted to five poems, with no more ten pages total per submission. Fiction entries must be double spaced and no more than 5,000 words. All submissions must be typed.
4. Manuscripts will be judged anonymously. Please send a cover letter with complete contact information (including name, address, phone, and email), a short biographical entry, and the names of all titles submitted for the contest. The author’s name may not appear elsewhere on the manuscript. Please do NOT include your name on your actual submission. For those entering more than one submission, you may designate a gift copy of the Broad River Review 2014. Please provide the name(s) and address(es) for where you want the journal(s) mailed.
5. Winners will be notified by telephone. Finalists will be notified by email. All entrants will receive email notification with a full list of winners and finalists by December 15, 2013, at which time all manuscripts not selected will be released to authors for submission elsewhere.
6. Manuscripts will be recycled after the contest.
7. No email submissions will be accepted for the Rash Awards, although the regular submission process for the Broad River Review does allow for email submission.
8. All manuscripts meeting the above requirements and submitted between August 1, 2013 and November 15, 2013 (postmark) will be considered for the cash awards as well as for publication in the Broad River Review.
9. Winning manuscripts will appear in the Broad River Review 2014, which will be published in late spring. All entrants will be mailed one copy of the Broad River Review 2014.
10. Manuscripts will be numbered and all names on the manuscripts will be removed before they are presented to the judges. In the event that judges do not deem any submissions worthy of the prize, we reserve the right to extend the call for manuscripts or to cancel the award. If an award is canceled, entry fees will be refunded.
11. Anyone with a previous reciprocal professional relationship with the judges will be disqualified from the contest. Submissions will be screened by the staff of the Broad River Review, and finalists will be forwarded for final judging.
12. Mark contest submission as “Poetry Contest” or “Fiction Contest” and mail to the following address:
c/o Broad River Review
P.O. Box 7224
Boiling Springs, NC 28017